Sunday, May 1, 2011

Queensday!

30 April is Queensday in The Netherlands. Queensday is a national holiday to celebrate the the birthday of former Queen Wilhelmina. And that's what we do: celebrating! It is a complete madhouse. I think it is one of the best days of the year!

I invited one of the participants of my workshop Dutch habits & traditions to join me and my friends on our tour through Amsterdam. We started at my place in the historical centre, the Jordaan. I live near the canals, which were packed with party boats: people, music, dansing, drinking, joy and of course ORANGE.  Everybody is dressed in orange and/or our national colours red, white and blue. It's crazy, people look crazy, people act crazy. My colombian friends were completely amazed by the whole show on the water.

Party boats on the canals

We continued our way along the canals via different stages with singers and DJ's. Also the parties in the streets surprised the Colombian guys. So many people and everybody was dressed op in with crowns, flags, painted faces. Weird Dutchies!
. 

No comments:

Post a Comment