Friday, April 15, 2011

Would you stand up for a girl?


Again I learned a lot from my participants in my workshop Dutch Habits & Traditions, yesterday. The two hour session always seems to be too short - there is so much to discuss about cultures, food, nice holiday locations, or even nice places to live for a certain time... Poeh, life is a bit short i'm afraid.

Workshhopping means, in this case, take actively part in sharing your experiences and together come up with solutions and opportunities how to feel yourself at home in The Netherlands. It seems easy, but again it turned out to be a bit more difficult then expected - people are nice, helping you out, showing you the way, but then they continue living their own life again - and please feel welcome to do the same...

A very funny question I got from one of the participants who has his origin in Colombia and has been in NL for just a month now: 'Is it appropriate to stand up for a girl in public transport?'

That was a very new question to me. Therefore my amazingly smart helpfull answer was: 'ehhm well, let me think. I guess it's not inappropriate.'

How would I react? Would I be surprised? Or would I take it for granted? A couple of reactions popped up into my mind:
- Do I look that old????
- Wow, there is my prince charme!! (without the white horse I just didn't recognize him that easily)
- Watch you money, he is just trying to distract you
- There must be something worng with that seat or the guy next to him is smelly. Don't trust it

What would your reaction be, do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting how different cultural behaviours could be. In Colombia it´d almost be rude not to stand up for a girl. I guess this could be an advantage for Colombian guys here in Amsterdam :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting how different cultural behaviours could be. In Colombia it´d almost be rude not to stand up for a girl. I guess this could be an advantage for Colombian guys here in Amsterdam :)

    ReplyDelete