Friday, April 8, 2011

Working cross boarders: the strength of personal contact


We work together, every day for the same organization, on the same projects. I know her family situation, her daily routine, her passion and her fear. What I don't know is what she looks like. I have never met her in person. I don't have a clue what kind of faces she pulls when I call her - again. How do you cross borders without indirect communication? Is it possible to work together on a trust basis without face-to-face contact?


It all seems so simple these days with the technical possibilities: we can call each other, email each other, we even have the opportunity to see each other via video conferences. The latter even takes away the indirect communication barriers - facial expressions are very important to me. I want to look into each others eyes when you're talking to each other, to have full attention for each other. Even though you may say much via the mail, you have no idea about all the thousand other things your contact person is running simultaneously. Or if he really means what he is saying. For that, you need to be in the same room. Negative thought? perhaps, but I'm afraid that it is reality.

As a woman I'm supposed to be able to different things at the same time. Well, I happen to be pretty good at that. But to be honest, the person at the other side of the phone does not have my full attention. Don't I think it is important what the other is saying? Of course I do. But at least I've finished that email. And of course I always hear parts of the story.


This method of 'multitasking' is triggered by the physical distance and absence. Visting colleagues in Germany, Ireland, Romania, Hungary, Denver on a weekly basis is not realistic. Technological possibilities of these days are certainly a helping hand. And for probably 95% of your work they are supportive enough to do your job in a way as expected to be done. To get the best out of your work and out of each other, I would like to support to meet physically at least once a year. Not just meet for that single decision that is needed, but create different situations to get to know each other better in various settings with different people, like during diner, breakfast or just a walk outside. In this way you get to know each others strengths and how to complement each other. It gives you the opportunity to put a hand on the shoulder to show appreciation. Expressions mean more than words.

No comments:

Post a Comment