Saturday, March 12, 2011

The beauty of faces

Like many people who love photography, I love faces! Faces interest and inspire me. Faces of both the young and the old. Faces show how people feel, their experience in life. They may show innocence and joy of life. But also the opposite. The funny thing is, when I'm travelling, I allow myself to take pictures of people. But at home, when I take my camera out to take some pictures in the neighbourhood, I feel it's not appropriate to observe people. But what's the difference between an Indian woman cooking in the forest and a business man working behind his computer. Both have their own story, experience and feelings. Both can inspire in a different way. Both may show passion, dedication.

Perhaps because I don't like posing myself, I don't want to ask people to model for my photo. I prefer situations in which people are not aware of the camera. Unawareness shows people at their purest. Besides that it is not really nice if you don't ask permission first. Well, best locations to go to take pictures of people without a feeling of guilt are Jordan and Syria: people really love posing!! They acually approach you if you would like to take a picture of them. They don't have to have or even see the picture.   

I would like to show you some pictures I have taken on my trips. First two lovely children in Brazil, then a very nice nomad I met in the Sahara in Marocco, followed by Inians in Surinam Jungle and finally a little boy in Palmyra, Syria. In some way, the expressions on their faces tell me their stories. If the stories are true, I'll probably never know...


No comments:

Post a Comment